Saturday, January 11, 2020

the economics of healthy eating - it's not too expensive



The week's grocery bill is $43.29 for one person who is given eight lemons and has three limes left from last week.  I also have three salmon packs (25 grams of protein/ea.), two tuna packs (18 grams of protein/ea.), broccoli, and cauliflower.

This means that it will cost $6.18 to feed myself every day next week. The three most expensive items are chicken (3 skinless, boneless breasts for $8.10), the grapes ($6.79), and the cherries ($6.02). Just the grapes and cherries means I'll be eating $1.83 in grapes and cherries everyday.

Eddy tells me there is a lack of quality produce and higher costs due to the flooding in the delta.
Still. Even buying two skinny stalks of celery @ $1.78 each is better than that big ole bag of chips. And it's better for me.

If I can keep my grocery bill at $200.00 per month, I can eat well and feel good.


Today I am grateful for a book and a commitment.

No comments: