Sunday, September 30, 2018

afterparty shorthand


I have nine dollars. He has ten. In the ride there he points at the front window. "Like that. It's a good photo. The sky, the lights. You see?"

"Yes. Yes. But it's a tricky shot 'cause those lights need to be exactly as you see them." This is before I find out he is supposed to be wearing glasses. "Come down as far as you can on your ISO. You're not using a tripod and this is when you would need to unless your hand is steady which it is. Your shutter needs to be open as long as you can stand it. Work up from there."

He makes sense of a confusing sentence while I shoot an example when we get off the bus.

Then he takes the shot.

Photograph courtesy of Javante Charles


Today I am grateful that tomorrow he was born eighteen years ago and somehow I got a chance to meet yet another phenomenal young man with a light in his eyes.

No comments: