Sunday, March 3, 2019

backpacking semantics

He says, "We won, but they came with their own agendas."

And I think, "Don't we all? Are agendas intentions? Are we just speaking semantics here?"

What we all want in the end is a win. What does a win look like to us? The score at the end of the game? The championship? Our parents being happy? Our kids? Our team hugging, smiling, high fiving, fist bumping. It's what backpacking is. Small wins of I just slipped down in the dark in some mud, one foot behind, the other to the far right, tried to get up, fell down again maybe five times before Trash Man said, "I thought you broke your leg," and another five rep stretch of you didn't know that was possible before he broke out into, "I thought you had a heart attack."

Ten repetitions in two sets of five each is crossfit for dummies who can be eight miles into a wilderness. At some point we may just have to call it performance art until I pop that screw out.

"What was the best thing you found there?" He asks.

Not what I was expecting. I was happy to have made it through the cave. Trail Miser went over it and through it multiple times. I got on my knees and crawled through it once, but when I did the cell phone fell out of my pocket. And that boy returned to the center of that cave to get it. I should be ashamed of myself. What an idiot. Then that log, and both of 'em said it looked like the tree started shaking and all of a sudden it looked like I just gave up and jumped which surely would not have happened since I already have a screw in my hip from an unfortunate earlier incident of me being an idiot. It's just that we met some of the greatest characters on this trip. People who love to laugh and share stories and breathe fresh air and push themselves past limits they didn't realize they had. And be kind. There are really kind people and dogs out there.

Jake
DEwayne
Hog Hunting Gun Enthusiasts
A dog named Red

Getting out of a comfort zone? Most definitely.
Being with and meeting great characters? Yes.

He says, "People ask me, and I even ask myself, 'Why do it? Why put yourself through that?' And all I know to say is, 'Because it's so good to find out you can.'"


Today I am grateful for sore muscles and short pick your feet up steps. I am grateful for running water in that river, over those cliffs, behind the rocks, and through my shower head. I am grateful Trail Miser taught me to roll on my pack and Trash Man finds energy out there.




Long live and love Sipsey Wilderness.
It's where we first found our hiking hearts and brought dirt home with us.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Channel 26 kicked it all the way to work this morning, my favorite blogger didn't get stuck in a cave. Gonna be a good day.

Unknown said...

Chanel 26? I'll check that out. Anonymous checked in. It is gonna be a good day.

Anonymous said...

XM channel 26 Classic Vinyl