Monday, July 9, 2018

"into the upholstery, into the rugs, into my hair"

It is a breaking of the icon. People who challenge what they have been told, and they are my favorites like in the top five. She once taught me about tangled Christmas tree lights, and he is a guy who got booed in Memphis, and I thought, "What are you doing?"

Their talk, all forty something minutes of it, is recorded. Notice how he leans into her, his shoulders slumped forward, elbows on his thighs, and hands clasped beyond his knees. Twenty-five years of living is erased from his face. I say great coaches don't bring a box of tricks, but she does seem to contain magic.

"Hello. I am an American and most of the time proud. We will rise again and still we will rise."
She speaks in poetry, but she never would have written a book if she had taught first.


Today I am grateful for the internet. (I think I'm supposed to say that some words may cause discomfort. If you are easily discomforted by words, please do not click on the word "internet" from two sentences ago.)






No comments: