Wednesday, July 11, 2018

don't encourage me, I question myself too - signed, the clown

I told preacher that I was having some massive shame as of late because every time he pulled up I had to turn the music down.

"I'm sorry." As sorry as you can be sitting in a gazebo under a tree.

"It's just that I'm having this Dave Matthews thing now, but it's like a regression. You know Dave was important during a time. And what did that make me? Or who said it did? I needed to be more serious about how I was living."

"Oh yeah, I get it," and he begins this rapid history with his parents and being dropped off in downtown Memphis for music. He remembers the man and the band and that album. Yes, many of us crashed into us back then. It was a party. We were falling in love with each other and with Memphis. What was the name of that place with the pool tables in the back? We walked in like we lived there, like we paid some type of mortgage on the block. In order to get over that shame, we bought plenty of drinks, paid cover charges, saw the symphony on the river after we partied too hard the weekends before.

This is where we all bow our heads and say, "Thank you for Nana. May her roads of gold and medals of honor be plenty."

There does come a moment when life crashes into you and you into someone else. If you're lucky, it's not some guy whose last chance was on you.



Today I am grateful for a preacher, dinner at a fancy restaurant with my kid, a video, someone said, "Como," and the we'll see of that.




No comments: