Wednesday, April 20, 2016

pessimist



"There's this quote by the guy who invented the very first automobile. It goes something like whether you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

"I don't like it."

"Wait. Listen. If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

"I know what it means. It's just that sometimes I think the worst. I don't know why but like there was this one time that Mom was late and I couldn't get in touch with her so I started thinking something bad had happened and when I finally got in touch with her I was crying."

"I get it. I did that today. As soon as I couldn't get in touch with you and Grammie I started thinking something bad had happened and my brain began imagining how you guys could need me and I didn't know where you were and I stopped it."

She smiles, "Really?"

"Really. I mean you don't have to call yourself a fool. You shouldn't call yourself a fool, but I use times like that to call myself a fool. I say, 'Fool. Stop that. They're fine. You thinking otherwise is ridiculous. Don't be ridiculous.'"

She laughs, "I didn't know you did that too."

"For sure. But you are brilliant because I didn't figure out what I was doing till my early twenties. You have a head start on me."



Today I am grateful to be a taxi service.


No comments: