Thursday, March 24, 2016

n'ere do well

It's what she calls him.

"Don't be judgy," he tells me.







"Hey."

"Hey."

"I think I'm judgy."

"Is this some new revelation?"

"I was accused of it."

"And."

"I think he's right."

"Who?"

"The guy who said I was being judgy."





"I mean you have to, right?"

"What do you mean?"

"You can't get to know someone without asking questions and listening to their answers and stories and not bring some type of formed opinion to the conversation. Right?"

"I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yes."

"I challenge you to try."








She called him a n'ere do well. Someone else described him as an old drunk.
But I never knew he was drinking and I had seen him do well in his life.
Of course thinking he had done well meant I was being judgy.







Today I am grateful for insight.

No comments: