Thursday, February 25, 2016

cheat day

"There you are. I have a question for you."

"Okay."

She walks toward me, stands in the doorway of the office.

"You have to tell me what you think. Is black history month racist?"

"Did you just ask me that?"

"Yes. Is black history month racist?"

"No. What are you drinking?"

"Dr. Pepper. We need to talk. I can convince you otherwise."

"No, you can't. What's in that Dr. Pepper?"

"I can't afford to put anything else in it. Seriously. Is it not worth questioning?"

"You were not raised like me."

"What do you mean?"

"I got up in the morning and picked peas. We shelled those peas."

"Oh please. I know country. I picked peas. I shelled them."

"Without black history month I would not have been taught black history in school?"

"But is that true now and is February the only time we teach black history?"

"I hope not."

"It's not. If it was, that would be racist."



No comments: