Saturday, January 16, 2016

dancing in the dark or play




It is the bridge scene and all the quotable quotes and people and history. That somehow there was this one moment we found more in common than we had different.



She pays me without reading and from a writing standpoint there has to be some type of sense of achievement in someone blindly believing it is what she needed. I don't know. What I do know is that  I read the words until I never could read them again and at this point I just had to say, "Here."



Fourteen dollars worth of paint and enough uncertainty that I have to convince myself it's okay to apply paint to a surface without certainty.





"What do you wanna do?"

"Paint."

"Ahhhhhh. Hm. Is it really?"

"That's what I thought you wanted me to say."

"But I asked you and I was thinking that it would be so cool if we could just go to an ice cream shop and sit and talk like me and Papaw did but we had fountain cokes and sugar cookies at a drug store. Too bad we don't have something like that around here."

"Yeah. That's what I want to do. I feel like I know him because of your and Grammie's stories."

"You know him too because he is a part of you."

"A part of me?"

"It's not just the stories. It's the DNA. He's in Grammie and me and you. It's genetics."




Today I am grateful that the kid knows science otherwise that could've sounded kinda scary and I am grateful as well for the option to choose whose DNA we're going with. I am grateful for all the tiny lights, the music playing, creme brûlée, plastic tablecloths, hoop cheese and a large glass of cold milk. I am grateful for the ride home and the tree we now secretly claim as our own.


No comments: