Wednesday, October 14, 2015

number 42, part two

What do I know about funding a school? Ask my best friend bank teller who watches me deal with my individual funding once a month. She'll tell you that I have my hands full and most the time my pockets empty. I need to eat less and turn my lights off more and stop being an idiot with money.

You don't want to ask me about funding a school.

Leonard and Box are much more worthy of the question. They gave some answers in a report in 2010. I read the whole thing and more now than before I am convinced that I should stick with questions not so much related to a Standard Pearson Correlation, but from what I could decipher in what they admitted was "This divergence of opinion certainly raises more questions than it provides answers."


What I am thinking is there is a "sweet spot" to school funding, and there are some really smart people on the job of figuring out what it takes to run a public school system with the potential of an estimated 535,940 children in it.


If you don't want to read the whole pdf I completely understand. When I reached page sixteen, and it was titled conclusions I did think to myself, Why didn't I just jump down here?

The first sentence reads, "Adoption and implementation of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program for all the political turmoil it has produced at times, is still clearly based on the results shown in this analysis, paying dividends."

Paying dividends is good. Right?

It's not perfect, but it's working and unless you tell me otherwise I am going with the funding that is currently showing an improvement in education in Mississippi.

Tonight I remembered this story I heard years ago about classroom size. The setting of the story was during a time when the prevailing thought was smaller is better. A school was established on the premise that the classes would have less students. Then, all those years later and decades of educating children in class sizes established to support a hypothesis, a study declared that optimum class size was twenty.


It really does all depend on where we get our information, but I usually try to find those beautiful nerds who analyze facts and figures. I don't guess Leonard and Box would want to take a look at my personal checking account. If they can do what they do surely I can handle it.



Today I am grateful for Leonard and Box and all those people in our school systems attempting to make the most of the dollars they are given to educate our children.

No comments: