Monday, September 7, 2015

proof




So it was the question between the red team and the blue team.

Does social media make you anti-social?

Tonight was an experiment of a surprise visit from an old friend. And I just about jumped out of my skin. He said, "Don't shoot."

So I pretended to and then realized he wasn't my brother so I kinda screamed and said crap, you're not my brother. I have to go get dressed.

After speed dressing, my hair still in that awful clippie, I stepped out the back door to someone who said we grew up together. From the top step I recognize a face but can't put a name. Two more steps down and to his right. He knew it when I said his name.

"Ben."

He smiled his Daddy's smile and that boy is his Daddy if any boy ever was. I can't believe it's Ben and all my social graces of which I never had any doesn't invite him in because well, I just don't have company.

It's crazy really.


And I tell him he's crazy. And he tells me where he lives now and sometimes how old he feels and now things are smaller, right? Back then they were so big. Our neighborhood was huge and fifth grade and a vacant lot where we would ride our bikes.

Do you remember when? And how much we both still love Coach Blackburn. I say tell your parents I send my love, and I neglect to mention I feel guilt for not stopping by to say it with a hug.



Anyway.


Today I am grateful for a visit from an old friend, for how being kids together can bond you with great memories. (even if I have become incredibly anti-social in my social media-ness)

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Ah hell. Tonight, my youngest (14) told me he is the ONLY kid in his class that doesn't have facebook. He told me that "If you don't have a social media page, you don't exist." And I wanted to cry. Then he told me that he also is the only one of his friends that hasn't been "slammed" or lied about to a hundred people that then they had to "prove" wrong. He told me he was ok with it....but he still felt like an outsider.

I told him by the time he was 20, he'd be glad he skipped the drama. He just raised an eyebrow at me.

I am skipping drama....but missing things too. Do they balance out?

Shea Goff said...

Oh, Chantel. I love it when you come here.

I see both sides, and I would tell that boy of your's to embrace the existence of such freedom. He does not need social media to tell him he exists. He feels it in his family and friends. Some of the greatest minds of this world spoke of childhoods in which they didn't "fit in". It seems the contributions they made to this world were because they became free to think about what they truly loved whether it was music or art or math or just enjoy the absolute beauty and terror of being fourteen with those closest to you.


It's what you and I do. I think the danger with social media is the rarity in which we may begin to find ourselves being physically and mentally aware of the person standing right in front of us. (the whole everyone is looking down at a phone thing)