Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I'm obviously running a con now

$20 for lunch
And artist sponsorships.



I remember sitting on the outside patio of the cafe on the coast. I had a tape recorder on the table. It was one of my first "official" interviews as a self proclaimed journalist. I didn't know what I was doing.

Maybe I was just trying to find out something.

Ken Murphy was kind and talked about gear and the books and he gave me all three. Signed them even. I never got the article done for a magazine. I always said I would till the day I didn't even say it anymore.

Anyway.

Super nice guy like the kind of guy who photographed his own daughter's wedding and a love he felt for a place. Truly incredible, his work.

I remember sitting at that table and him telling me that I should not put hot sauce in the gumbo while the chef is standing beside the table watching me take the first spoonful.

"But if he made it hot enough for me nobody else would want it," I said.

Ken did his kindest and most gentle long breath out. He leaned back, nodded and said, "Okay."

And I started in, "Would you say art is a hustle?"

"Yes. Of course, yes. I sold my book to people who could sell it. I have sold my ideas. I am a hustler. Of course photography is a hustle."





And I think about that. How intimate and honest and incredibly revealing art can be. That somehow in your heart there is a hustler selling what you love and for that  you can sometimes feel shame and guilt. Because hey, that stuff is not for sale.


Or I can feel that way.
Then I obviously try to sell it.








Today I am grateful to be accepted into the Meridian Museum of Art's Bi-State Annual Art Competition. I don't care if it was a pity vote or if it was a mistake and the person before or after me was supposed to get it. It feels good to at least be accidentally chosen.


Two works.

I Will Be Blessed, 20 x 30 Ready to Hang Mounted Print   $114.95
Sowashee's Early Morning Light, 20 x 30 Ready to Hang Mounted Print, Metallic  $124.95


(do you ever feel like life is all about numbers and you were always looking for a place where it didn't feel that way?)




No comments: