Saturday, July 11, 2015

flash fiction or not

Everything is Alright, Digital Photograph by Milly West
39th Annual Bi-State Art Competition at Meridian Museum of Art
(my photo of her photo)


Though the story of Hemingway's winning of a bet with the table over a six word novel is most likely fabricated, I still love the story. Tonight I can imagine sitting next to West at that table as she pulled a photograph from her purse.

Hemingway would look in disgust. West would pause and allow for the time it took for him to take a huge swig, huff and holler, "Nuther."

I imagine he would cut his eyes toward the guy on his right and mumble some choice words in regards to a photographer being a part of a writer's group.

West would wait as the print was passed around the table. She'd chuckle as he refused to even glance and the group laughed.

I would only smile and pat her on the back as West looked directly at Hemingway and said, "Everything is alright."


Then as even Hemingway had to pay up I would think, "Yes. I have a story tonight."




Today I am grateful for stories.






Today I purchased Brockway's latest.

Me to the sweet lady at the counter, "Do you have any titles by Robert Brockway?"

She typed and mentioned my first read. They had one.

"Yeah. He has a newer release. You may not have it."

Again she types. Then says the name, "It looks like we have three. Let's go check. They'll either be in science fiction or horror."

It was in horror. She and I agreed that neither of us tend to gravitate toward the genre. But it's Brockway so I explained, "He's an incredible writer. One of those writers who make you jealous with their talent."

"I can't believe it's so small," she opens the book and reads the inside flap. "Wow. You're going to have to tell me what you think."

"He packs a punch. Wish me luck. There's no telling where he'll take me."



From the inside flap:

There are angels and they are not beneficent or loving. But they do watch over us. They watch our lives unfold, analyzing us for repeating patterns and redundancies. When they find them, the angels simplify those patterns and remove the redundancies, and the problem that is "you" gets solved.

No comments: