Monday, June 29, 2015

what Krakauer does

He gives me this quote.


"There was loneliness, too, as the sun set, but only rarely now did doubts return. Then I felt sinkingly as if my whole life lay behind me. Once on the mountain I knew (or trusted) that this would give way to total absorption with the task at hand. But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind."

Thomas F. Hornbein
Everest: The West Ridge
Into Thin Air, Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer, page 43






On page sixty-one I am already doubting that I should go further. Me, the comfortable reader on the porch, because of Krakauer's writing and because I already know what's going to happen, am wondering if I even want to get past base camp. The answer is no. I don't, but how dare I not turn another page if that man was willing to endure what he did to pursue what was once a boyhood dream but now a way he made a living.


I don't know.
What I do know is that Krakauer is going to do what Krakauer does.
He is going to take me, the reader, with him.
In my comfort I should go, see what he saw, learn what he learned.



Today I am grateful that Krakauer survived and was able to report what happened. I dare come here to pay tribute to those lives lost, but I will write that no doubt Jon Krakauer is doing his best to honor what he and others knew to be true about those individuals with whom he came into contact.




(by page sixty-one I already know that at some point in some way he is asking all of us to seriously consider the risks we take in this life and how those risks affect others in this world.)






At 29,028 feet above sea level as he straddles China and Nepal and later writes, "I understood on some dim, detached level that the sweep of earth beneath my feet was a spectacular sight. I'd been fantasizing about this moment, and the release of emotion that would accompany it, for many months. But now that I was finally here, actually standing on the summit of Mount Everest, I just couldn't summon the energy to care."
Chapter One




Also, climbing Mount Everest through reading is not about economics.
I checked out this book from a library.

No comments: