Tuesday, June 23, 2015

the new country music

is kinda like the old country music.


"God is great.
Beer is good.
People are crazy."
Billy Currington




Do you remember George Jones and The Race is On?

It was a highly romantic song. He was describing what was happening in a heartbreak.

Well, the race is on.
And here comes pride up the backstretch.
Heartaches are going to the inside.
My tears are holding back.
They're trying not to fall.

My heart's out of the running.
True love's scratched for another's sake. The race is on.
It looks like heartache.
And the winner loses all.

(did you just read that or sing it?)



I always loved that song.
When I was a kid I used to try and sing it as fast as George Jones did.
I used to think it was funny.

But Patsy Cline. That woman. That was serious. Hardcore heartbreak.
(shameful admission no. Thank God only a couple of us are reading: I actually went out walking after midnight when I was a teenager. My poor parents.)



Time Magazine should nominate that guy on that message board with George Jones' voice for Person of the Year. Any guy who puts a car on blocks and separates a transmission from an engine and follows a crack to a bolt and keeps coming back to tell people what he found and how he fixed it is a country song in my book.




Country music, whether new or old. (it doesn't matter to me) feels like home.



Today I am grateful for a morning of boot scootin' boogie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

34 skip days, sneaking out at midnight and table dancing sounds like a good start to a country song. Maybe you can finish it or maybe you shouldn't. P. S. I've been listening to some "Billy" Joe, good stuff.

Shea Goff said...

I Will Sail My Vessel by Jacob Jones 37 on SoundCloud.