Friday, April 10, 2015

notes, first of three interviews

What is working? Where do we put our money? My second interview today said, "Don't come telling me something different from what the teacher says. The teacher is always right."


I interview a photographer at 8:40am.

(note here to say once upon a time having an interview once a week would have thrown me into another dimension of ohmygosh sent into the space of frantic fear. three in a day would have given me a heart attack)







This child, young lady I mean, walks into the room and sits across the table from me.
The light she carries with her is one I've seen before and time and time and again from people around me.


(there are several people like this, a whole lot, I see them all the time, they're everywhere)






She describes the creation of a piece which won first nationally, and I listen and take notes but I keep going back to what I want to see through that one which didn't win first place. It won second.

"Uh huh. Okay, okay I see. But on that other one your Dad was in a field holding a door, and there were skeleton keys hanging from it. I want to hear more about that."


(you know how they say an object is changed just by the viewing of it. what was that quote or cat?)





She has a gentle laugh which turns into words which makes sense since she has also competed in singing competitions.

"Yes m'am. You see I like vintage and I had found these skeleton keys and I find something and I connect it to a verse." She uses both her hands and eyes to speak. She references Matthew 16:19, I think. "And the door was vintage so my Dad and my Mom, we took it off the hinge and carried it into a field and I put those keys in the keyhole and I looked up at them because it had to be that angle with heaven all around. The grass, the sky, the light."


"Okay. So listen. I'm trying to figure out if there is a connection with you fifteen. Your Dad. Your Mom. Your sister and friends and people at Church, they are always happy to help you. I mean, nobody rolls their eyes or acts like it's a chore. You tell them one of your ideas and they just do whatever you say. They're all, 'Okay, you.'"


She smiles and nods and is light. She is way past any light lesson in photography. Light goes without saying. This child, young lady I mean, has studied light so much she is beaming it.


"Well. Yeah." She sounds like Jess's guitar strings. "You know it takes several shots to get it and there is this one girl who is all, 'Again? How many times are we going to do this?' but I just laugh. You know it takes a lot of shots."


"Yeah so I guess what I'm gonna ask you is do you want to take a shot like we've been doing for everyone else or would you like to feature one of your photographs with the article. I would, of course, give you credit and it's up to you."



"That's interesting. I don't know. Maybe. I mean I don't have a camera other than my phone."


"I have an extra camera."


"Oh wait. I do. Emily's. I still have it. I can use it."


"Okay. You just let me know. We have all of next week. Here is my email address."



(it would be so cool to feature her work)






Today I am grateful for a job which allows me to listen to and see light from a young, award winning photographer's perspective.


(ohgoodgosh, it's crazy out here.)



No comments: