Saturday, February 7, 2015

more Friday notes (latest episode of kids these days)

Walk, Don't Ride: A Celebration of the Fight for Equality

I never know what I'm getting into, and it's thrilling when this is the second thrilling thing of the day. Special thank you to a very special lady who is my boss and who says yes when someone asks,

"For your kids?"

Yes (exclamation point), she says.

I found out a couple of days before the event. Never doubted I'd be there.

Then.
Just.
Wow.


These people and arts in education and our history.


Yeah.


Do you know what I thought as I sat there?
(no, Shea but there's no doubt you want to tell me)

I thought if I could I send Mrs. Parks a message and she could somehow get an invitation and you know, look down or float around or whatever strength and love and determination get you

I just thought that she would maybe sit in the back of the theater with me, and we'd smile at the irony and we'd silently watch what is happening here and she would say,

"Good. Good for all of us."

Then I would turn to her and say, "Thank you, lady. You are quite the role model in a world of fear."



Because of all of our Civil Rights Leaders we are living in a better world.

Yep.
Better world.
It is.


And if this month is about black history it is about the history of people and I am a sucker for a story with such incredible intrigue and characters who stand up and take a lead.


And then as always happens. I don't know why I am ever surprised anymore.

I don't get the photo

of this guy.


But that's okay.

Because I may never be as good a photographer as he is at giving Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech. 

And that'll be just fine. 

I bow to his beauty.


Today I am grateful for the opportunity to consider history, consider our present and have hope for our future.


(in the Power of Habit hope can cure an addict)

No comments: