Tuesday, January 13, 2015

when children form gangs

There's this note.

It is a reoccurring thought occurring in the mornings when I walk into the office.

Sometimes it's on a big poster board and sometimes it is disguised as a mat on the floor. Mostly it is on an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of colored paper and it's full of love and magic marker and some of the most beautiful art created by some of the most beautiful artists.

Seriously.


And I have to admit that when I first see it I think, ohmygosh. I look suicidal to an eight year old. Quick note to self: Girl, brush your hair. Stop looking suicidal to children. You have a job.



After that is when I get it. (you know it takes me a minute)

That's when I think.

How cool is it to get love letters in the mornings from someone who in the past twelve hours has considered me? That when I was asleep or reading or eating or driving home from work that someone was thinking kindly and thinking of me in their brain all at the same time. Simultaneously.

That's crazy.
With all this love in the world
someone needs to organize it.


Then I think of the gang of children who spend their afternoons creating and leaving love letters in mine and other peoples' offices. And I think you can't contain that kind of love and what if  you sent it out into the world. Would you trust that who needed it would get it and then it would spread until it dissipated or where would it go?

Exactly where it needed to. The kids and I will figure.

That's what we're going do when we do our class this week.


We're going to create love letters to the world and hide them where they and their parents think will be the best place for them. And they'll either send me photos or they won't but hopefully you, you who is reading this, no matter where you are or what you're doing you'll be touched by at least a ripple of the energy being beamed into this world by all the people who leave a love letter for a stranger.


Today I am grateful for how energy rolls like a snowball down a hill picking up more energy until it's so huge that it clobbers you.


(that sounds so violent but it's love so then we'll just make snow angels)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I can't wait to try it.

Shea Goff said...

I don't know if you'll have the same experience, but for us the leaving a note in a place my niece picked out was hilarious. It was a "Santa Claus came!" type of reaction.

I'm almost positive she'll go back and look to see if someone has gotten it, but she's going to be busy because we have nine more to hide.

It is fun.