Sunday, November 16, 2014

how do you taste?

It was interesting. Hypersensitivity in children described as a form of synesthesia. There was this one guy in a book I read who tasted shapes and cooked to particular points. The roast was not ready because it was not sharp enough. He told this to a neurologist who was at his house having dinner and the neurologist recognized what it was. I think you have something called synesthesia, the neurologist said.

I need for you to come to my office and we'll run some tests on you. It's not common, but there are others out there who swap senses, hear color and even taste shapes like you.

The guy, the one with synesthesia, was elated. Someone finally had a name for why he was different. And there were others. He had lived his whole life pretending like he was like his friends because he discovered when he was about five that the other kids didn't taste food the way he did. And a five year old kid is scared to be different.

I still have never heard of a case of a child who is considered to be hyperemotional as one who has synesthesia, but I think it did say "a form of" so yeah. It has to do with the senses and brain wiring and what will show up on an EEG. And ohmygosh, the way the brain is lit up. Like a fire for different things for different people.

What the story says is there is always someone out there like you.


My brain lit up when I read this. It's a beautiful book.



Today I am grateful that people share their stories.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wish that I could be like the cool kids,
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

Anonymous said...

O, why is the robot cop back?

Shea Goff said...

Don't know why the robot cop would be back unless Google just got tired of dealing with spam comments. I'll try to fix that.