Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Dear Dad,

The orange of Yellow Dog Print
As of late people have doing a lot of talking about seeing another's perspective, and I see their point but try as I might it happens that I don't always understand. The point you were at last night? Well. Nah, I'd rather not see that.

I'd rather be where we are right now when I heard your voice on the phone tonight.



Here's the thing I now notice about gratitude, something I guess I didn't necessarily expect:

Sometimes, like yesterday, I worry I wasn't grateful enough and something I needed to be more grateful for got taken away. It can make you a little crazy, make you say thank you for everything for fear something/someone you took for granted will vanish.

Then I tell myself that I am not near as powerful as I like to imagine, and I breathe relief that you're still here.

Which means I need to perfect my gratitude.

Hone my skills, a resolution on a holiday.

I am going to get better at this.



Today I am grateful for you, for your voice, your sense of humor, those little things I heard you did and said which let me know, Yep, that's my Dad.

What is so special about Thanksgiving this year? I get to see you, Dad.

I know you don't listen to much any Jack Johnson, but I found this and thought of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well, said a little prayer, something I don't do enough of. Happy Thanksgiving, hope your turkey gets stuffed.

Shea Goff said...

Thank you for the prayer. He is recovering in his own special way. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving as well.