Thursday, May 29, 2014

Betty Press, continued


It was the first photo which caught me, pulled me in, made me grab the thick paper, pull it closer, take off my glasses.

Study the lighting.
The scene.

Where was this?

A beauty pageant at The First Annual Redneck Festival. I have several from there. They called it the First Annual but they never had another one.

What type of lighting did you use?

None. It was in the back of this gym. She was just sitting there.

Lighting like that is a gift.

Betty smiles and nods.

In the prior seven months I have been struggling with color in the yellow of gym lighting. Betty's black and white of this little girl, the illumination of that child's precious, serious, little face is remarkable. I stopped picking up photos after that. I stopped touching them though it did take restraint. One photo after the other Betty showed me what she had been doing.

Great photography, great art will elicit emotion, and in the couple of hours I sat with Betty I felt shame and defensiveness and envy and as if I was at home in a place I had been ignoring and

thankful. I am so very grateful Betty Press has chosen to photograph Mississippi.



There is more. For those interested in photography you must hear how Betty does it. Right now I have to get ready for a trip, but in the meantime you may want to check out my friend, Sharon McConnell-Dickerson's Kickstarter Page. If you are so inclined, I know Sharon would be very thankful for your support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HQ

6:25

Samantha Fish RL Burnside song Shake em On Down with Cigar Box Guitar, check it out.

Shea Goff said...

Love, love, love it. Thank you for that.

What a waste that I use a cigar box guitar as a wall hanging.