Wednesday, April 2, 2014

roots


Woodstomp by Josh Miller


Dear Sir/Madam/Non-Gender Specific Person Holding Press Pass Rights:

I wish I could tell you that it would benefit you to have me holding a camera at your band's show tomorrow night. That my photographs will be some amazing representation of the sound, the soul, the passion. That what I will capture will be something you have never seen before. That I don't end sentences in prepositions. That I will tangle words together in such a way some top magazine will want to run a feature of your band's story. That as a result you will get calls from cities and festivals and massive amounts of money will begin flooding toward you.

I wish I could.

What I can tell you is that I typically crumble under the pressure of wishing I could do that for you. That it is likely my words will be thrown into a heap of discarded attempts because I know someone could do so much better than me. That my equipment is one of the best things I have going, second only to my neurotic obsession to get the perfect photo. That I don't use any flash. That I can blend into the walls. That I am paying for a ticket anyway and listening to live music without my camera is simply impossible.

So.

May I have a press pass, please?


Sincerely/Rock On/Best Regards/Pleadingly,
Shea Goff



Today I am grateful for someone who understands what photographing live music means to me.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4cV-GJVa0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Shea Goff said...

Thank you.

Chantel said...

Drift away indeed. Shea, for what it's worth, I've found your work to do that often.

Anonymous said...

Thats the way I feel it, cool indeed.