Sunday, September 22, 2013

oh hell, why not






The brilliant seven year old mentions a particular boy for the second time in a conversation we are having on the subject of how awesome her life is because her life is awesome and she is awesome and there's this boy who had a birthday and she wanted to get a group of girls to sing happy birthday to him but they kept messing with his cupcakes. So, you know, that was a problem in an otherwise awesome life.

I shouldn't speak. I shouldn't mention it. What do I know? Nothing.
But. Here it is in front of me so I ask, Aren't you a little young to be focused on a boy?

She pauses, looks at me and explains, I'm going to need a boy to help me buy a house one day.

I should've said okay. That makes total sense. Way to be forward thinking.
Seriously, I have no idea and should not be allowed to talk to children.
But. We're already having the conversation, and her Dad is sitting right there and I am not forward thinking enough to consider she might start wondering why she would need a boy so I say, You could buy a house on your own. You don't need a boy for that.

And that's when she decided to be a lesbian.


No. Don't freak out. Or yes. Do. I don't care.


It's just that maybe for some people relationships are math and who am I to say they're wrong.



Today I am grateful to once again admit I have no idea what's going on.




Recommended movie: Lost in Translation



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

Shea Goff said...

The lamentation of their women.

Anonymous said...

Conan would be proud, I guess?

Shea Goff said...

Ah, yes. Pride and then the fall.