Sunday, June 16, 2013

his girl




When Slater was a teenager his Dad sat next to me and said, I need for you to tell me how to be a Dad.

It's not calculus, I said. Just show up. If you tell him you're gonna do something. Do it.

It was almost as if that answer was too frustratingly simple for him.

Still. He is my son's Dad and as long as he's breathing it's never too late.






I don't know how to tell you how hard my Dad works. I think you would have to see it for yourself. It's hot here already and he never stops some pretty extreme manual labor of busting beaver dams and cutting grass and trimming and clearing and planting and fixing and checking off a list and being right there to jump in the pool with my nephew.


And I am in awe of who my Daddy is.
And I'd like to take a moment to say that there are some great, great men of this world and every one of them showed up and out for the people who needed them.



Today I am grateful for my Dad, my brothers, my friends' husbands, my friends, all those men who if you ask them who they are at least one of their answers is, I am a father/dad/daddy/pop.

2 comments:

Larry said...

I simply adore your photos.

Shea Goff said...

Thank you, Larry. It is an honor to have you here.