Sunday, March 10, 2013

old friend, the boy



When you see your kid again it is like you're seeing your old friend. 

When there is a knock at the door at four in the morning and at five you finally ask him, Why do I talk so much?

And he shrugs and smiles and he tells another story and goes to bed at six 'cause he hasn't had any sleep.



And you spend the whole day wondering when he'll ever get up. So finally you wake him and you take him to Bubba's to have a poboy and that man now because he is important and Granny has some collards and wants to send us home with puddin'. Time is going way too fast.


Stop.




We're gonna go to Grand Oak tonight, Slater.

Okay.





Last night marks yesterday's date when Slater came home and we went to this place. 

Five straight months of dates with Dad and Slater joined us. I love it when my kid comes home and it just seemed so right that they had new microphones and Marcus Linton showed up and Slater got to meet Tyler and Wayne and Andy and Woody and Leigh Ann were there as well as I think I met Mr.Thrash and Mr. Scott and we saw faces and smiles and I don't even know how to say thank you anymore.

the kid



Woody


It happens too fast and I know people say that and you're all, But I gotta get this done and cook supper and we have homework and there is that after school activity and you have to check the email and you haven't just sat down with a friend since last Thursday and life swirls and flows and keeping your head above water can be outrageously exhausting.

Stop.

Cousins



the father

the son









the boy



Today I am grateful for a     whole      nuther      day with the boy.




4 comments:

nan said...

Shea,I love this story.I am happy just to know you are finally getting to enjoy your beautiful family. of course you saved the best picture for the end!

Shea Goff said...

Oh good. Thought you'd be partial to that last one, Nan. It was so good to see him.

Debi said...

I miss him too! He is one of my "other" children......

Shea Goff said...

I always tell him when I hear from you, Debi. He always smiles and we talk about Mike and John and Sam and always end with how much we love you guys. We do.