Saturday, February 16, 2013

the circle unbroken

East Quitman Fire Department





I love a mandolin, how it doesn't look like an adult instrument. How you could see it laying on a table and think, Awwwww, I wonder what kid around here plays guitar. That's so cute. I'll have to get pictures of it.


Then a man picks it up.


And. well.
This was one of Slater's favorite songs growing up.






The first time we had ever heard mandolin and took notice was when Dan Tyminski picked it up. When considering the origin of bluegrass some may take it all the way back to the continent of Africa. Italy. Some will connect it to the blues. Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Ricky Skaggs. Kentucky. Virginia. Tennessee. Mississippi.



Slater was in North Mississippi when he first heard Dan Tyminski play the mandolin and sing one of his favorite songs.


Here he is playing acoustic and singing. Don't get me started on the dobro.

Yes, you caught me. Not only do I love when Dan plays there is just something about his voice.    

Oh. I don't know but I think you understand.






Today I am grateful to return to a sound I heard at least a decade ago and how I find I love it just as much if not more now.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cat" gut, ebony and rosewood, what a combination.

Shea Goff said...

I like the way you see a photo, Anonymous.