Friday, January 25, 2013

job, dream



Dear Cover Letter Shitty First Draft. (Thank you, Rebecca)

Hi. A friend sent me an email with your available job position embedded as it's text. In the subject line she typed three words. Those three words were.   this, is, you

I wonder. Travel photography. huh.

Yes. I do love a good road trip when I can get in my car with my dog and hit an open road. See new places, meet new people, witness a sun and a mountain and an ocean. Yes, that sounds great.

An agricultural journal? Hm. See how humans cultivate the land? Yeah. I do think I would like that and it would not be a bad idea for the girl who allowed the deer to eat all the strawberries in her own patch to learn a thing or two from people who know about deer being fond of such a plant. Duh.

You mentioned something about professional. I   well   yeah  fiveminutes. I can do five minutes of professional, five minutes on the phone, five minutes in person, five minutes writing time. I can play the role of professional for a limited amount of space until I get behind my equipment. Once I am there then I don't have to play professional because all I care about is the photograph and sometimes maybe that is as professional as this photographer is going to get.

It says you would pay me for this, that you offer benefits. A background check? You can run two on me as well a credit check and a google search and ignore the blog, that's just me and a few of my friends. It is therapy and letters and what led up to a friend believing that what you describe is me.

If only.



You need twenty links to photographs which depict my take on lighting. Twenty. I have to pick.

Here goes.

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.

Looking back on photos I once thought were good was hard. What I learned is that I am a developing photographer, always interested in getting better and better and I never want to stop. This, I think, is the greatest single thing I can bring to you.

Sincerely,
Shea Goff




Today I am grateful for an opportunity, for how a friend thinks of me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

EIGHT

Anonymous said...

EIGHTEEN

Shea Goff said...

Okay, Anonymous. I am assuming those are good ones for you. You can also let me know if there's any that need to be replaced. I definitely respect your opinion. And of course I am grateful.

Anonymous said...

FOUR

Anonymous said...

21, SUX

Shea Goff said...

Okay, so four needs to go. I am assuming twenty-one is twenty and I have now deduced from the way you spell sucks that we went to junior high together. Am I right?

Oh, don't answer that. Just thank you for your honesty.

Anonymous said...

Keep FOUR, and I dont like twentyone.

Shea Goff said...

Oh good. I didn't really want to delete four. And yes, the last one is brutal lighting so again thank you.

Shea Goff said...

Hey.
If you come back here I want to share a secret with you.
After the drudgery of searching and finding and giving up on photographs and linking and you having to look at all of those I went to the job posting to do a final draft of the cover letter and found that they no longer listed it on their website. I sent a "Wait. What?" email to them but it could be they have already filled the position.

Still.

Your feedback helps me, helps me to be better. Thank you for taking the time. I realize you don't have to do that.

Anonymous said...

Hey.
Thats as cool as the other side of the pillow. Got a secret too, I liked them all.