Thursday, December 20, 2012

Shelbs


A warm white light hangs from the doorknob.
A blue bulb is attached to the door of the wardrobe. Shelby walks over to it, inspects.

I turn it on and explain I am experimenting with the effects of colored light.




She poses which is nice, and I begin to move the shutter two shots past the smile, six frames in.





She tells us the names of the trees and explains to us the value of the berries growing from one.
Shelby is smart, studies and absorbs and applies her knowledge.

What did you say? The berries from that do what?

They can be boiled.

Then she tells me the Latin name of the tree, and I've already forgotten everything else because if you throw a Latin name on me then my brain starts thinking of the origin of words and how I have no idea how to spell that and then my brain says, Take cover so she won't see what an idiot you are. 

I guess I'll just boil 'em if I have nothing else 'cause at least I remember she didn't say death. maybe.



wherein we discover Billy Sue has learned to pose


Anyway.
If you haven't discovered your child falling in love.






If at one time you could or could have actually looked at your fourteen year old child and said, Date?
What are you talking about a date? You're only fourteen. I thought you and I were on the same page. Girls are not a focus until thirty, until you have schooling and career and life and what are you doing? Are you trying to kill me?

No parenting advice here, people, but I did perform my duties as the chauffeur to that valentine banquet and I did sit at the bar while they had their own table and he paid and told me, Stay over there, Mom.





the boy and his girl




Today I am grateful to let go and see what and who returns.
Much more amazing than I could have ever dreamed.



Shelbs

2 comments:

Nan said...

I love this stories and all the pictures!

Shea Goff said...

Oh good, Nan. Merry Christmas. I love you.