Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas is

There is something different about the sky here.

What?

More pronounced. The stars, the clouds, the whites, the pinks, the blues.



Five hundred fifty reasons we have to stop eating at the dining room table.




How 'bout another puzzle, Jess?

Yes, she says with a rounded y, an immediate e and a prolonged s.

She is the kid who clings to stories, remembers everything and shocks you when she responds to a current question with a tale you told her two years ago.



Maybe if you stare at them long enough they'll get uncomfortable and start putting themselves together.



Wilbur.

Wait. What did you say?

Wilbur.

I just asked you if you like bacon and you come back at me with the name of my first pig.

Her nod is where they got the idea for the bobble head and her smile lets you know she holds the key to some other universe.



Finally. 



When are you going to take my magazine picture?

I don't know. I think we have to let it come to us. We'll know when it's right.

Do we need to pick a place?

We can.

Clarkco?

We could.

Okay.




Wait. No. Nevermind.



How 'bout we put the puzzle together on the dining room table?

Yeah. Her response is breathy as if we just discovered another element for the periodic table.





#11. Have puzzle done by this time next year.





Did you know (some obscure fact which was not an obscure fact when I was eight years old)?

No. I didn't.

Well,      it's true. They said it at school.

Well I don't know about that. They used to tell me Pluto was a planet. Now they say it's not.

It's not.

Why did they change the rules?

She looks up to the sky, the different sky, shrugs her shoulders and smiles.






Today I am grateful to spend a day with a kid and be reminded of what Christmas is.





A special thank you goes out to Jess, Fred's Dollar Store and Christy's Fine Dining where we dined very finely on a cheeseburger topped with a fried green tomato. It's good to be home.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda like ten pounds of sugar in a five pound sack, good deal.

Shea Goff said...

Thank you, Anonymous. You have such a lovely way with words.