Wednesday, November 28, 2012

the faces we see


Papaw by Josh
Granny by Josh

 It happens at seven thirty a m most every morning.


Granny stands on her front porch and looks out into the street.
Waves at a school bus of children.









They wave too. And scream words such as hey and aaaayyyyy and grandma and yaaaay and it happens so quickly that it is a photographic nightmare. How in the world am I gonna get that photograph? A moving bus, kids' hands waving, Granny's excitement, one facing the other. I am not going to have much time. No tripod, I'm looking for a certain shot.





It's a cold morning and Granny told me two nights ago this was happening. I think the sentence started with, Well. When Jason comes by with the kids. Then, blahblahblahblah. I didn't catch anything after that.

Jason brings Jesse and Wyatt over to see you before school?

No. He drives the bus. He brings my kids by.

Hold up. I need to know more about this. What kids?

Investigative journalism at it's best.



I know something you may not. My brother drives a school bus to supplement his teacher's income so he can raise a family. It's admirable I think. Plus, I consider it skillful since I am sure I would take out a bank, four stop signs and an entire city block if I attempted such a feat.



Granny, Jason drives the school bus by your house every morning?

Yeah, most mornings when school is in. They just scream Grandmaaaa.

I think that may be one of the cutest things I've ever heard, and it's happening in your front yard.







Her wave.
Her face.
I blow all the shots trying to get the one with everything in it.
Jason waving.
The kids waving.
The bus moving.
Light.
Cold.
It's too much. My brain explodes.




That kid is totally throwing Granny a peace sign.










Today I am so very grateful that here and there and many spaces between we have the opportunity to see beauty in faces every morning. Quite nice when you think about it.

5 comments:

Chantel said...

Some things renew our faith in the world....this was lovely.

Chantel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shea Goff said...

I agree, Chantel. Thank you, my friend.

Debi said...

This is so cool!!!!!

Shea Goff said...

Yes, Debi. You would love it!!