Sunday, November 4, 2012

kids these days




It's about 8:45am on a Saturday. Traffic is light, some people at the local gas stations, a couple of cars at the red light as I turn onto highway forty-five. When I grew up here this road was a thoroughfare for all the traffic heading north to south to places like Mobile and Biloxi and Pensacola and New Orleans. When they built the new four lane bypassing the town there was a potential for decay.


The first thing I notice at 8:45am on a Saturday morning is how beautifully clean it is. I was thinking about finding out who cleaned the town so I could pay him/her to clean my house. I figured if someone could take care of a town they should be able to knock the house out in no time.

That's when I saw the kids.




















Members of the local high school Beta Club and FCA were there on a Saturday morning. The morning after their football team won another game in their quest for a state championship.

On a Saturday.
Not a school day.
Early.
Doing community service.

These kids make me feel good about our future and make me want to do more.



Today I am grateful for the examples they set.

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Rare, lovely hearts, those are. I see the opposite entirely too often...

Hope is a marvelous thing.

Shea Goff said...

Yes it is, Chantel.