Saturday, September 22, 2012

porch

Grand Oaks Bluegrass Gospel Hall





They say. He says. She says. Somewhere I heard.
Just one hour a day, a month, a week, a year.
Choose your own dosage.
Though you can complain there is a catch.
All the other hours are spent loving yourself and someone else.


They say we change things when we observe them.
Sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.


She is on the porch. I back up and pull in. Dogs barking inside, outside, in a fence to the left. The little dachshund is chained to some steps. I remember as a kid we'd visit the shut ins, people we always assumed were lonely. I guess it could be an accident but when I say my name and go to shake her hand she doesn't let go. Instantly I feel connected.

No. She has no idea where that place may be but she has a story to tell me.




Today I am grateful for a change of plans when the lady from the porch held my hand.






2 comments:

Molly Hawkins said...

what a thought-provoking piece, Shea.... I'm taken back to dozens of childhoood memories and as many faces... the hand not letting go part reminds me of so many, too.... also prodding me to get out and visit... thanks for the post

Shea Goff said...

Me too, Molly. I didn't realize how much I missed that in my life until I felt it.

It's so good to see your work again. I missed it.