Friday, June 15, 2012

sees chapel road


The doctor prescribed sunlight but we took it a step further. We needed a new place, new surroundings. She almost threw out her hip when I said, Let's go for a drive. Destination unknown, it matters not time of arrival. Sooner than you'd think we almost didn't stop at a little store on our right. 





She got out, cased the joint, met the caretakers of the place. They were two dogs across the road and I thought she's starting to know what she is. I got out my camera and it felt good in my hands. Then I took the shot, a test to check lighting. Another, two or three more until a man appeared at the screen door. 

You gonna take a picture of me? He asked. 

I didn't know anyone was here, I blushed, but of course I will.

Well you gotta see the store, he invited me in.




There used to be six stores and a school. Tom and his eight siblings lived right up the road. His wife sometimes asks him, Tom, when are you gonna close down that store?

When I can't stand in it anymore, he always answers.





You know how you don't know what you need until it comes and then it is like a surprise party and you are simply in awe? Best thing I ever did yesterday was meet Big Tom.




Today I am grateful for handshakes which turn into hugs and how people always seem to be there when we need them.

3 comments:

Chantel said...

This was exactly what I needed today.

You surprise and delight me so often. I wish we could have coffee...

Anonymous said...

Me too

Shea Goff said...

Oh good, you two.
Chantel, just so you know, you get back what you put out in this world. Surprise and delight are words to describe exactly what you do. It makes me feel good that you visit.

Coffee would be great.