Wednesday, June 6, 2012

clovis

Remember Olympia Dukakis' character in Steel Magnolias? That is Ms. Clovis.



I had heard her name through the years, always 'cause Mom and Dad would take their taxes down to her. She was a genius of sorts, owned an H&R Block in a rural Mississippi town and had managed to wrap her head around the American tax system. There were rumors of people attempting to take all their records and receipts to shiny accounting firms in the big city but those stories always seemed to end with the people coming back to Ms. Clovis. No need to pay large amounts of money for the same advice.

I met her at Madalyn's shower and told her she was a legend.
I think she thought I was silly, but my hope is she knows.


There was this step at the front/back of the church where if you didn't know any better you were sure to take a tumble. The reason the rest of us knew better was because Ms. Clovis was the first to take that step. On rehearsal night she was at the front of the line and I heard it happen, mainly because of all the gasps around her. When someone in front of me asked, Who was that? Her grandson, Anthony, said, Oh that was just Mamaw. She's fine.

In fact, I think she may have jumped up, did a twirl on her high heel and said, For my next trick I'll take the stairs while doing a tango.

I now suspect she drinks from some fountain of youth fed by a creek out back of her home.



Today I am grateful for the women around me and especially for the ones who surround my niece, Jesse.




And for any of you wondering where your magazine is I am going to the post office today, this morning in fact. The last two days have been a blur of photographic isolation which is crazy and fun and I'll most likely hug the lady at the post office just because she exists outside of this house in a world of trees and skies and wind and sun. or at least that's what I think I remember.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Shea,
This picture is adorable!

:)
Jamie

Shea Goff said...

So glad ya' like it!