Friday, April 13, 2012

Paul





I want you to go. It has taken me over twenty-four hours to write that, and I struggle with the reasons I would. There's still a little space on the ceiling, maybe he could stack some more. People have called it a fire hazard but I pray it won't burn 'cause at some point about sixty years ago Paul went to a place and decided not to return. 


It can't all get done in a day, he said.

Yes, I will admit he can be a little much. His humor, at times sexual in nature, is easily redirected. Just don't be faint of heart. We all walk a line of trying to pull back, trying to hold on and it seems Paul in his rambling way shows us how far we can go. We could take it as a warning but Paul is still smiling, still welcoming and still able to afford his Coca Cola habit. Who am I to say someone is wrong? I'm sure nobody any more important than Paul.


He said, I'd give my life today if only the King could live again.

He teared up when I recited the poem he gave me to read. I'll admit I did it slow, added inflection. I hoped he would feel it. We were about forty-five minutes into the tour at that point and it was too much to process, too much to handle. Maybe if I was more of an Elvis fan, and yeah, he was great but if I went back to Graceland Too it wouldn't be for him. 

It would be for Paul.





Graceland Too in Holly Springs, MS is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week though I wish there was a way we could all get together and say there was a time we'd let Paul get some sleep. Five dollar admission and after three times you never have to pay again but why not throw some money his way? The performance alone is worth that. 

I'm thinking about taking him some white bread and homegrown tomatoes.



Tonight I am grateful for the people who show us love, and I pray we are able to return it.






4 comments:

Chantel said...

Loved this--amazing pics! Such character in his face...

Shea Goff said...

Thanks, Chantel. I think he would smile knowing you said so.

Jamie said...

I was seriously talking about this place today! Me, Cory, and some of our friends are headed there for my birthday in August! I cannot wait!!

Shea Goff said...

Awesome, Jamie! You'll love it and he'll love you.