Wednesday, March 28, 2012

who



Miss Margaret's Tree, Water Color 24 x 20
Grace Estes Henderson, Artist


Who collects art? I've asked more than a few people a couple of times.


Easter at the Gee Place, Oil on Canvas 16 x 20
Anne Hughes Sayle, Artist



More than buying a piece because it matches the sofa or purchasing a work when it compliments a theme, is it that the collector has somehow connected to the artist's view either by desire or memory? I always said it was the story but it is so visual.

Does that mean your most common art connoisseur is a man?



Stampede, Acrylic 24 x 30
Grace Estes Henderson, Artist
Just a Balancing Act, Acrylic 14 x 14
Grace Estes Henderson, Artist


There are times no matter how hard I try I can't escape what I think so when Josh asked me to watch Pollock years ago I had a hard time getting past Jackson's neglect of his wife. Just a couple of months ago I watched this and developed a new appreciation for who that guy must have been.

Grace? She sees art as an expression of the soul and the mind, which she says is simply fun.



When selling anything it always made sense to say, Who is my buyer, what do they want? The best thing I saw in Pollock was he didn't care. My opinion is if he had it would have ruined his work so that is where I connect with him and that is how I know if I had a billion zillion dollars I might have a Jackson Pollock in my home.


Deauville, Oil on Canvas 11 x 14
Anne Hughes Sayle, Artist

I accept that I am a novice.
Seriously, what do I know? Nothing about brush strokes.
My sense of color? Absent. My Aunt Wanda picked the paint for the walls in my house and they would never change unless she told me to do so.



Picnic, Oil on Panel 11" x 14" (cypress frame)
Anne Hughes Sayle



It is maybe only what we as individuals see. That must be why it is so difficult at times for an artist and why so many of them are typically starving. Not because they fear telling their story but because maybe they have found it is one of the few things they truly want to do.

Do you think in order to do it right they had to forget who their audience could be?


These two artists can be found for three more nights at the Como Main Street Art Gallery in Como, MS. The show is called Two Women & a Brush. If you can't make it and would like to see more of their work or would be interested in pricing, which I think is quite fair and won't run you a Pollock, you can get in touch with David Marsh by emailing pneumarsh@gmail.com or connecting with the gallery through Facebook.



I am grateful that people continue to share their stories.










Slater would like to suggest we listen to this while we peruse art.

5 comments:

Maggie Moran said...

This is very nice! Thank you for sharing. :D

Shea Goff said...

Thank you, Maggie. It was very nice of you to stop by! I love the profile pic.

Grace Henderson said...

Sorry I did not meet you when you attended "Two Women and a Brush." Would so loved talking art with you.Penetrating and thought provoking comments, Shea. I'd wither without my upstairs bedroom studio. Let's do talk.

Molly Hawkins said...

love the work of these two ladies ~ delightful show, too!

enjoying your insightful thoughts, Shea!

Shea Goff said...

Grace, it is an honor to have you here and I would love to sit and talk. We'll do it!

Thanks, Molly. I am looking forward to seeing what you have for the Spring Show.