Friday, February 3, 2012

her

Kay was truly the only person I knew from Como. Funny now I can't tell you the first time we met. All I know to say about Kay is that I hope someone somewhere says they hear from me,  What you are doing is important. Continue. I have several people in my life who say that to me, Kay being one of 'em.

Kay introduced me to Karen Ott Mayer. I, of course, had heard of Karen. She's kinda like a local superstar. If you are into writing and/or photography and are from this area you have heard of Karen. I'm shy around celebrities and everyone else so I had only read and seen her work. On the cover of an issue of the Desoto magazine was a photograph she had taken of the Causeyville General Store. I took a look at the issue, read the article and thought, Damn, she was ten miles from where I grew up. I loved that store. In that article she told me things I never knew about that place. I should really be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I was just honored to meet her.

You can meet her too.

Saturday night between 5:00 and 8:00pm
in Como, MS
at the Main Street Gallery.

She owns a farm in Como.

She quit her corporate job ten years ago.

She hasn't regretted a moment of it since.

She's awesome. Go meet her.

She sent me this.




Como, Mississippi Loves the Arts During the Month of February

Main Street Gallery Winter Show Opens Friday, January 3rd Following Town Event to Welcome the Alan Lomax Collection to be Permanently Housed at the Como Library

Como, Miss, February 2, 2012 - The Como Arts Council announces the opening of the Main Street Gallery Winter Show celebrating the works of local artists.  Works include life-sized driftwood horse sculptures by Como artist Sharon McConnell-Dickerson (sharonmcconnell.net) as well as the works of contemporary painter Annabelle Meacham of Senatobia, Miss. (annabellemeacham.com), among other artists.

The Winter Show is the first of four shows scheduled for 2012.  "We are tremendously excited about all the activity happening in Como and the growing membership of our arts council," says Como Arts Council President, David Marsh.
The gallery will be open from 5 to 8pm with a reception to be held at 6pm during which the public can meet the artists. (Like Como Arts Council on Facebook!)

Como has also gained national attention for its musical heritage with the repatriation of the Alan Lomax Collection to the Como Library (New York Times article).  Musicians, dignitaries, the Lomax family and locals will gather Friday, February 3rd at the Como Library for a dedication and celebration from 4 to 6pm.

And before the month ends, Mississippi native Felder Rushing, host of NPR's The Gestalt Gardener, will entertain audiences on February 28th at the Como Methodist Church. Author of over 16 garden books, voted by Southern Living Magazine as one of the "25 People Most Likely to Change the South" and featured by national news media, Rushing charms with his earthy humor and solid horticultural knowledge. $10 now on sale at the Como Green Grocer, Como Lighting and Mimi's on Main.  For more information, megjbartlett@gmail.com.


About Como
Located 43 miles South of Memphis just off Interstate Highway 55, Como boasts an original charm and authenticity rarely found today.  With a Main Street lined with historic storefronts, Como has gained popularity for the renowned Como Steakhouse, Mississippi Blues Trails markers, its nightlife, unique bed-and-breakfasts and original shops like Como Lighting.  A town of less than 1,500, Como nonetheless makes a big impression with its large personality.







Coming from out of town? You can stay here.

Remember Sharon's work? It will be there or should I say here? Right here in Mississippi. Como, even.

Want to stay in touch with the work they are doing? Like their facebook page here.

That's all.



Other than I am grateful.


No comments: