Sunday, February 5, 2012

contagion {self}

Stay







Before they leave she turns to him and says, I can't wait till we get back home.

We haven't even left yet, he says.

I know. It's just so good to come home so I am looking forward to it.

We are only going to dinner.

Yeah.     I know.




*********




A saint addicted to excessive self abnegation is a dangerous associate; he may infect you with poverty and a stiffening of those joints which are needed for advancement - in a word, with more renunciation than you care for and so you flee the contagion.
Victor Hugo



***********


He says, Pathetic.
She says, Okay.


************


In a little blue car on the darkest of nights she leaves.
He awakes the next morning to never miss her. or maybe sometimes he does but not for long.


*************


Ten years later she turns to another and says,  I can't wait till we get back home.

We haven't even left yet, he says.

I know. It's just so good to come home so I am looking forward to it.

We are only going to dinner.

Yeah.     I know.





He says, Pathetic.
She says, Okay.



****************


In a little silver car on the brightest of days she leaves.
He comes home from work to never miss her. never.


*****************


Fifteen years later she turns to another and says,  I can't wait till we get back home.

We haven't even left yet, he says.

I know. It's just so good to come home so I am looking forward to it.

We are only going to dinner.

Yeah, I know.





He says, I understand.
No, surely not, she says and winks at him.
Yes, I love coming come. One of the best things about home is being able to come back to it.
She smiles, You sir could get lucky tonight.
Already am.


******************


Healed, she is perfect to stay.
And grateful, she does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's it mean when ur chill bumps have chill bumps.

Shea Goff said...

hmmmmm, I don't know so I'm just going to call those a compliment. Thank you.