Thursday, November 10, 2011

listen

Listen, she says, people will tell you who they are.

I sit on the edge of a brick porch and light one cigarette with the other. Okay, I say.

What are you gonna do? she asks.

I am going to give him the chance to be more than he says, I look out over a pasture and a pond and watch as the same sun rises.

Okay, she says and I hear the door open and close behind me.






Listen, she says, people will tell you who they are.

I sit in a recently painted room and face her. Yeah but this is what he said he wanted.

Okay, she says and leaves to go work in the yard.






Listen, she says, people will tell you who they are.

Yeah, it's taken me awhile but I get it now, I smile and hug her, throw the backpack in the car, dance a little jig to make her laugh and tell Billy Sue to load up.






He finds me on the front stoop and sits next to me.

Listen, I say. It seems I am always leaving.

I know, he says, I've been tagging along for some time now.

He puts his arms around me and hugs.

Just don't hold too tightly, I say.

He loosens his grip and I decide to stay a while.








Gratitude.





No comments: