Wednesday, November 16, 2011

flirt

He enters the room in the requisite surgical scrubs and white coat. I have to admit there is some disheveled revenge of the nerds attractiveness about him, like holding and rocking him while he gives a rambling dissertation of the benefits of the newest morphine pump would make for at least a good story. Neurosis can be quite the turn on as long as it can be turned off every once in a while.

But this is not about what attracts me.


This is about what attracts his patient, a woman I call a very dear friend who just underwent a partial knee replacement under the guide of this man's hand. This is her second, and I am now worried she will need a third but has run out of knees. Post partial can you get a full? If so, go ahead and sign her up. Elbow? Hip? Does he work on all joints? Surely we can schedule something in the spring of next year. Yesterday's surgery should hold her through the winter.


Admittedly I have recently discovered a woman's ability to generate the energy of our sun from within the very core of her being via hot flashes but I think I had forgotten about the heat a man can elicit from a woman. How his very presence can bring about such a transformation in attitude and demeanor. I have known this woman for over twenty years and I have never seen her flirt. I don't think I have ever even heard her giggle, not like that. She touched his arm, arched her back, talked with her hands, smiled at everything, said she was doing great and this time was going to be even better than last time. She was absolutely beautiful, radiant and yes, she'll have another one. How 'bout an ankle in April?


Okay, there may have been a pain pump and a couple of pills involved, but I maintain that doctor had something to do with it.


She will probably kill me for writing this. It's just it was great to see her and witness all that wonderful flirting. It makes me smile to even think about it.



Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery, Nan.



Gratitude.


No comments: