Monday, October 10, 2011

two percent




Slater comes home excited, Mom, have I told you about the ninety-eight percent?

No, babe. I don't believe I've heard this one. Let's walk outside and you tell me. It is a beautiful day with a slight wind and a beaming sun. Billy Sue runs around his feet so happy to have him home.

I heard this guy on the radio, Adam Riess. He's an astrophysicist who just won the Nobel Prize. He and two other guys discovered that the universe is expanding at an exponential rate because of this stuff they call dark energy. We can't see it but it makes up seventy-three percent of the universe. And then there's this stuff called dark matter that makes up about twenty-five percent and all that's left is two percent. All we perceive is two percent! Isn't that amazing? There is ninety-eight percent out there we know nothing about, he is pacing with a huge grin plastered across his face.

Wow, that is amazing. Billy Sue is now sitting next to me and we are watching him. Her head follows him back and forth, and I find his excitement contagious. Rather than feeling stretched by some invisible force or lost in a dark of unknown I am connected in this two percent. In this very limited awareness I realize how in love with him I am at this age. He will be twenty next month and his mind is ripe with new information and he seems to be on the cusp of the next discovery and it feels as if it is some remarkable adventure.

But then again it has always been that way with him.


I am so very grateful for this two percent.

No comments: