Sunday, August 14, 2011

first

I sit in a rocker on a front porch under a full moon with country music acting as a soundtrack to the few people still moving about. I look at the moon, listen to the music. We are here, now. I smile.


We have both smiled so much tonight and there was laughter. Of course we had laughter, don't we always? sometimes, maybe never. You tell me. I think we do.


You sit next to me and smile. I am nervous under your stare but I enjoy it just the same. Take your glasses off. Let me see your eyes.

What?

Let me see your eyes. Sometimes I catch what color they are and then think different? Are they blue or green?

I take them off and look at you for as long as I can which is not so long until I turn bashful and look away.

You laugh.

I say, That is what I remembered about you.

What?

Your blue eyes. When Lebowski asked me if you were cute I told her I remembered blue eyes. Your eyes are all I remembered. How long has it been, two years?


You nod and smile.


And I am nervous but I smile back.



Then I drive home to Slater and Billy Sue.



Heartbursting gratitude on the day you are supposed to rest.

No comments: