Friday, August 26, 2011

discards, again for the record


There was this guy at the last Woodstomp show, a curious young man who is interested in the science of everything. And, well, it's not easy handing your camera to someone, but then again how could I say no to this guy. Plus, how great is it to share a love, a passion with your child? I can't fully describe it and I don't have a picture of him sitting alone in front of me with my camera beside him placed on a table aimed at Charlie and Connor as he busily adjusted ISO and shutter speed attempting to get the perfect shot 'cause he was going to show me how it was done.

One of the ways I know I am still alive is that Slater is still teaching me.


So it makes all the sense in the world he was interested in helping me on my most current project. We borrowed his Aunt Angie's camera and headed to the location. Tripod, two cameras, three lenses and a competitiveness used to spur each other on.


The location is a dream and Slater and I both agreed we could spend at least eight days straight shooting. There is so much to see, so much to show and it feels so reverent as if God just left the door open knowing we'd sneak in. You'd think we had worked together for years 'cause all we did was go to work with little conversation and so much focus on what we saw.


There were moments when I would stop what I was doing and see him in a corner of the room, setting up the tripod, adjusting the settings on the camera, taking the shot and waiting for the result. He'd look up at me, grin and say, Did you hear how long that took?

Uh huh. I can't wait to see it.


An hour and a half later the light was leaving and we were sweating from the labor which didn't feel like labor. I was coming down some steps and Slater said, Hold on. Let me get the light. He did, shined it on the staircase and instructed, Come down here and take a shot.

I did.



And here's the thing, I don't think you could know fully what being a parent is on any one day 'cause your heart could not handle it so everyday you are given the opportunity to see another piece of what it means to know your child.

Is gratitude even enough? It is all I have.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I have to say, I love,love,love the staircase picture. It talks to my heart through my eyes.

Shea Goff said...

Sweeeeet.