Thursday, June 30, 2011

pickle

I need sun. A faulty fluorescent bulb and dwindling flame are the options I have chosen as of late. The duration of time a girl can survive on stories is questionable and at times I tire of the search. Then I notice it. A thin strip of natural light pushing in from under the door. The bulb blinks, I hear it pop. I walk toward the door and open it.

She has plans for him. That is all he tells me. His weekend will be filled with demolition, reconstruction. It is a life they are building from the remains of former ones. I smile at his smile. We are close enough to have a knowing glance and this is the best one we have shared in years.

Monday comes in a welcome ceremony as I need a spreadsheet, the surety of data entry, sweet sweet numbers, familiar faces and laughter. Only when I hear it do I recognize the craving I have for laughter. I fall over myself doing dances for such a genuine sound of happiness.

He does too so I ask, Busy weekend?

He dances with words, conducts the stories with his hands, moves about the room with a demonstration here and another there while for just one moment I can experience it, Shea you wouldn't believe it. I don't know where she gets the energy from. We pressured washed the damn paint off the deck.

You have to seal it, right?

Oh, done that too. We painted, worked in the yard. The heat was killing me. The sweat pouring from my body, my face dripping. I would stop what I was doing just to go in, take a shower, change clothes and go back outside to work. She is a power house. I have a hard time keeping up.

I smile and he goes on.

And pickles. You would not believe the pickles we put up. Cucumbers everywhere. Every type of pickle you could even dream. Everyone will be getting pickles.

Oh good, I say.

We couldn't keep our hands off each other. Everything we did we had to be right next to each other. Laughing, talking, just being close.

I can't imagine.

I guess we're still in that newlywed phase. I don't know. It's like we had been working all day and sitting in the  living room that night and all of a sudden she heard one of those jar lids pop and she got so excited that it worked and it was great. You shoulda seen how she danced around.

I am so happy for you.








Gratitude.

No comments: