Friday, April 22, 2011

pick

I had the pleasure of meeting four gentlemen this week all referred to me by the Mississippi Unemployment Security Commission's WIN Program. First of all, kudos to the state of Mississippi and it's employees. The personal letter of gratitude I wrote to you doesn't seem to quite fit how you amazed me so I figured I'd put it on the internet.

There was a time in my life when friends could come to me, explain they needed a job and I would know of someone who knew of someone who had the perfect job for that particular friend. That was a different time and place. Now I am amazed at the very qualified and beautiful individuals out there who are steadily working to obtain work.

As I went to sleep last night the echo of the answer so commonly given to my question, Do you have any questions for me? played in my head over and over.

When do I start? they responded with a gleam and a sparkle and a smile and oh I couldn't take anymore. One more interview and my heart could have exploded on the spot. I wanted to make a job for everyone. I wanted to be smart enough to build a company to hire all of them and make it like the pictures of Google I saw where me and the guy I met yesterday could fuck off and play ping pong or go sit in bean bags and eat popcorn when we got too stressed.

But alas, I have not yet built the equivalent of Google and it could be that I won't. There is a very real possibility that I won't so I'll call each one Monday of next week and give them the news and I'll try not to tell them that I love them and that I'll try to find them a job and if I make Google we'll play ping pong and oh good gosh.




Yesterday a friend sent me this quote and I liked it. Maybe this is a good a place to put it as anywhere else.

As if the sorrows and stupidities of the world could overwhelm me now that I realize what we all are. I wish everyone could realize this, but there is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun. ~ Thomas Merton



Gratitude.

No comments: