Sunday, December 26, 2010

after

Exactly five people on five different occasions told me that this year was their best Christmas yet. Funny, huh? I mean we're at war, politics are a mess, crime scenes are being played out over and over, the economy is spiraling into I don't know, complete and absolute destruction unless we throw all our money at something. Although once in a while we may have to look at each other and say, Are they really still talking about Brett Favre? Is he still playing? Oh. Good. Gosh. Walk away, man. Just walk away.

I told my Mom this Christmas that the last month of television had stained my writing. Watching the news made me want to talk to people who were crying. There are some incredibly bad stories out there and coupled with me reading The Confession by John Grisham it turned out to be a bit of a struggle. I mean, seriously, that was some pretty horrific shit.

If you don't already know I may need to tell you that I have spent the last year not watching television. I made a deal with a company, called my previous company to tell them we were breaking up with tears in my eyes may I add, and jumped off into a world of about forty channels on a television in one room which I barely ever entered. I would have sworn to you two years ago that I would never be able to do that. I needed television. What if another Seinfeld came on, what if the writers of Sex and the City admitted that they sold out the show and came back for some of the good writing in the earlier days, what if once in a while I wanted to watch a M.A.S.H. or Sanford and Son or All in the Family or The Golden Girls or Three's Company? What if Rob and Big had a reunion? What about House? The Office?

I stopped with the help of Netflix, a great stepdown program if you ask me.

And I started watching what was happening around me. You could say I got involved more locally, and the experience has been quite thrilling. Yes, there are still horror stories even locally, but if you look at those stories, get involved with the people, you can find some of the most incredible love stories and comedies of your life. Maybe you already knew that. But me, I had to turn off the damn TV.

Gratitude.

No comments: