Friday, November 19, 2010

boy

Two people have commented on photos they've seen in the past two weeks, Oh my gosh, Shea. Slater is a man.

And another two people have stated on two separate occasions, Shea, he's only going to be nineteen. He seems so much older. To which I reply, He was always the older one of us two.

I don't know how to describe to you what that feels like, especially when you look at the pictures and realize it's true. He is a man.

Yet I struggle with the pull of my heart which says he'll always be my boy.

Like you know you would go to the outermost lengths of the universe, fight dragons, battle beings from another planet, shoot down enemy airplanes, cross great rivers, stand in the name of something for this guy. This kid. He's always going to be my kid.

And I don't know how to thank him enough. There are no words to describe my gratitude for what he teaches me, still teaches me, about life and love and happiness and beauty and determination and perseverance and forgiveness and respect and kindness and it's insane. How much I love him.

Here's to now, November 19, 1991.

Here's to nineteen year old Slater Goff, young man, my boy.

No comments: