Wednesday, October 20, 2010

sunset

It got dark fast. In fact, Angie and I have decided that maybe the sunsets are some type of scientific anomaly we had not yet heard.

We had said we were going to capture a sunset.

Then John, or Mr. Know it All according to some people, said the perfect sunset was right off our very own pier.

How lucky is that, we thought.

Yeah, until Wednesday evening or late afternoon at about oh I don't know although I should know, let's just say in the six range giving or taking thirty minutes.

Any photographer worth their salt is laughing at us right now. A good photographer will know the timing of his/her subject. We know now so I figure we're photographers with a dash of salt.

Back to the story. We skipped all smiley faced down to the pier. She had the camera, me the tripod. Once we got to our destination she began setting up the tripod, and I started getting the camera ready.

Both of us had our backs to the sun which we agreed was playing the starring role in the best sunset on the face of the earth and it was clearly from our standpoint about seven inches from the horizon.

Quick note to any aspiring photographer: It is very important to never turn your back on a sunset. Sunsets enjoy making a mockery of humans. They're quite evil.

Angie and I turned our back on that sunset in order to get the equipment. I was dilly dallying with the attachment for the camera/tripod relationship and Angie was setting up the tripod. That is until I heard gasping.

Someone was gasping for air.

It was Angie.

I turned around and saw the side of her face. Her jaw was dropped and she was pointing with her finger making some type of exclamation, kinda jumping back and forth, toward what had been the best sunset on the face of the earth. Had been. It was gone. Gone in a matter of what seemed like a quick series of moments. It is rumored that we were abducted by aliens and put back down on earth at least fifteen minutes later. That's the only way I know to explain it.

Anyway, we just stood there.

Until finally catching her breath she looked at me and said, did you just see that?

I started laughing and said, yes.

That's when she started rubbing her head and muttering, I'm so glad you were here because nobody would believe me. They wouldn't understand.

I know, I know, still laughing because then I said, Angie, it was a gorgeous sunset. I can't believe that just happened but even better than the sunset was the story we just shared. This is fucking hilarious.

And we both laughed and we took pictures of what used to be the best sunset on the face of the earth.

Gratitude.

5 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Beautiful poem! Love the last word. I love it! Going to add your link to my blog soon when I figure out how I do it. :)

Shea Goff said...

I love that last word too, Michelle. In fact, I think I want to be that last word. I need to do that linking thing as well. Tried one night but it didn't work. Did it through a post a while back but I guess the most important thing is that I go to your blog daily. I always want to hear what you have to say. Thank you for writing.

Slater said...

funnyish... Not sure if you know how to write funny. I liked it. Just not funny.

Shea Goff said...

Ya' know I think I just needed you to say that. I kinda thought it, like it didn't do what I wanted it to do. Oh well, it did what it did, huh?

I can write funny when I don't try to write funny. I promise.

Love you.

Slater/sleeping said...

Maybe mine was phrased wrong. This is Phrased better by another unfortunately. Dont try, be. Dont try to be funny. Just be funny when that is what it is. Your voice flows through your work so much and really your just not funny all the time. I know.... That was funny :)