Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sherrie

There is nothing quite like walking into the Courtyard for the first time. Sherrie is the only one who has never crossed the threshold. What I told her, and I echoed to the others, is to make sure she dropped everything at the door. Just bring herself in.

This is sharing. This is me looking at Sherrie and watching her face as she enters the space.

Her eyes widen saying she would smile but she cannot shut her mouth until she finally says, "Shea! OH. MY. GOD." Sherrie doesn't use the Lord's name in vain. Here we have one of those witness for yourself moments, and I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of Sherrie's witnessing. She is one of the most beautiful, strongest and expressive women I know. The look on her face as she scans the room, how she turns around arms outstretched, taking it all in and exclaiming, "I had no idea," is a moment.

I respond with a giggle, "I told you."

Sherrie. She needs this. She, like Angie, has been out there saving the world. On any given day, at any given moment you can call Sherrie and find out she's in another state handing clothes out to people who have been traumatized by a flood. Or wait, she could be at a women's shelter donating her time, her smile and laughter and wisdom disguised by, "Girl, you don't even know!"

She is amazing. I love her.

Kim and Angie have never actually met Sherrie. I simply told Kim earlier in the evening that she owed me $25 for the show.

"What are you talking about?"

"Just wait. You'll see. Sherrie and Angie are exactly alike. We'll just watch as they go back and forth. To them we won't be there."

She laughed.

When Slater had asked me earlier to tell him about Sherrie I simply responded, "Oh baby, she's your Aunt Angie in black."

Kim will now vouch for that statement.

Later we are all four sitting on the back porch, Kim is painting her nails and Angie and Sherrie are in a passionate conversation regarding their views which, thank you very much, are carbon copies of each other. Ladies and gentlemen, God clones.

I'm sitting here telling Kim I take checks, trying to get a word in edgewise with the clones and thinking I could never express the gratitude I feel for these souls surrounding me.

And oh, the conversations.....

No comments: